Sunday, May 8, 2011

Indiana Garage Sales Amish Style



Spent some time with my friend’s at their log cabin in Delphi, IN.  They’re putting their home on the market this summer.  So if you enjoy the ride and your looking for a place to hide this be it, baby!  It’s about a 30-minute drive from Lafayette.

Thursday morning on my way up, I decide to stop in the town of Delphi to take a quick peek in side one of their antique stores, which sits directly across from the courthouse.  I could have stayed for hours but, I knew my friends were waiting for me, so I did a 10 min peruse through the store.  Upon leaving I get to see a guy, in an orange jumpsuit, being hauled back to jail.

Pull out and go around the block.  While I’m waiting in line, I get to sit behind a semi hauling Pigs to... (I’m almost positive)

Indiana Packers Corporation – (pigs slaughtered on site/distributor).  Canned, Frozen, Kosher (really? please explain), Salted or Unsalted Pork.  Unintentional plug for my buddies working the packer’s plant in Delphi.



But wait it get better!  So I’m out there to help them with a Garage Sale.  They have like 13 acres in BFE, and it take like 5 minutes just to get up their driveway – Ok, I’m exaggerating just a bit.  Sale is at 8am – Nothing unusual there, except our 1st customers of the day are some Leedyites.  And I'm sure most of you are wondering what a Leedyite is; a Leedyite is similar in dress to Amish or German Baptist.  But there are many different sects that have emerged from that culture from which the Leedyite derives.  It's complicated, and can not be distinguished by appearance, you normally have to have an understanding of the history of the religious culture and family name recognition is a big bonus.

(Jockeying their horse and buggy into position)
I had to grab my camera and start snapping away.  I’m laughing hysterically (on the inside mind you – not out loud) thinking – Yep we’re off to fast start this morning!  When my friend reprimands me and says “Hey they don’t appreciate having their photograph taken”.   I immediately stop and rush inside to dispose of the camera.  I wasn’t aware that they forbid cameras & mirrors, as it is a reflection of vanity ~ (So True). Except…and I’ll reveal as I go on.


So they walk up to the house from the middle part of the drive.  They didn’t pull the horse & carriage up to the pavement, but parked them in the woods.  We exchange pleasantries and after a bit of shopping I approach the gentleman and asked if it would be all right if I took a picture of his horse and carriage, and he said I may.

And that is where photography is not so much acceptable to them (because It’s modern technology) but tolerated or allowed because it has to do with nature (for lack of a better word) and not the soul.     I tend to think of it along the line of some Native Americans not wanting to be photographed for fear of stealing their soul.

Her sale went very well, and I helped save a two items, a 1971 Barbie house & Marx train set.  She said that is why she sent for me, but we both know it was for my parking attendant extraordinaire abilities.  Just try maneuvering 7 cars with only 4 parking spots on a single lane.  I even had to jump into peoples cars, back them up and turn around for them!

So, Any who...I didn’t want to make this one post excruciatingly long so this will be a 3 part post – Next up are the baby Foxes & Phloxes, and Morel Mushrooms Madness. 
 
Wishing you long Open Roads and
Wheels to carry you there.

Ciao!
KJ the JunkYard Gypsy




No comments:

Post a Comment

Antique Resale Shopping Down Hwy 421 Jasper Co & Hwy 2 Porter Co Indiana Junkyard Gypsy Style

This time of time of year in northwest Indiana can be kind of gloomy & cold.  We’re usually hoping for a bit more spring like weathe...